The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Wednesday 28 August 2013


Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..
ReplyOld
Darren Hodgson's Avatar
Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780 Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD Default The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - 08-23-2013, 11:03 | posts: 10,275 | Location: England I couldn't find a thread for this game, so apologises if I've missed it. I bought it yesterday after watching Giant Bomb's 50 minute Quick Look video on YouTube and thinking it looked interesting in spite of the bugs. Their game crashed a couple of times and they had performance issues...

Anyway, the game unlocked at midnight here in the UK so I played about 45 minutes of it. I enjoyed what little I saw of it, the combat system is very interesting IMO, being more like Mass Effect than XCOM: Enemy Unknown so if you're the impatient type that doesn't like turn-based games then this might be your thing! The game is also set in the 1960s so it immediately has a B-Movie vibe to it, which is different and refreshing IMO.

The game also looks fantastic for a multiformat release with a range of options, including DX9 and DX11 support, with the latter offering tessellation. I believe it uses Unreal Engine 3 and it does have anti-aliasing support (yeah!) but it's the crappy FXAA-type by the looks of things (nay!). The unfortunate thing is though that the performance is dreadful on my system with everything maxed at 1920x1200 and not what I was expecting from a UE3 game at all, even using DX11. Movement feels very sluggish and while I didn't have EVGA Precision X's OSD running at the time, I swear the framerate was as low as 20 fps at times. For the most part it is perfectly playable but I was expecting flawless 50+ fps performance from my setup.

Does anyone else have the game and also experience poor performance?

Reply With Quote Old
Darren Hodgson's Avatar
Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780 Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD Default 08-23-2013, 11:28 | posts: 10,275 | Location: England Thanks Jonas. I did see someone else suggest that and I actually did turn it off last night but the loss of reflections does take some of the (no pun intended!) shine out of the game IMO so I left it on. Looks like I may have to compromise. A shame really as the game really does look very nice for a UE3 game in terms of detail and period atmosphere.

I only got as far as finishing the tutorial section and that had a lot of smoke/particle effects so I was thinking that they were crippling the framerate. I was hoping that it was simply a case of the drivers not being optimized for the game. Maybe a patch and a new driver can optimize the performance further so we can use this screen space real-time reflection setting?

*EDIT*
@ Jonas - Almost forgot... but does your game hitch/stutter badly when it auto-saves because mine does and it is very distracting?

Last edited by Darren Hodgson; 08-23-2013 at 11:32. Reply With Quote Old
Darren Hodgson's Avatar
Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780 Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD Default 08-23-2013, 12:44 | posts: 10,275 | Location: England It's a spin-off of the XCOM games hence why it is called The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and not XCOM: The Bureau.

It's aimed at people who want a pacier Mass Effect-style tactical game rather than a turn-based strategy game IMO and on that score it seems to achieve that, although the A.I. does seem to be a bit iffy from my admittedly brief play so far. I like it and I suspect that people who enjoy Mass Effect will too.

The game has mostly been getting positive reviews in the 65-70% range so it is by no means a bad game. I suspect a lot of die-hard XCOM fans were hoping for a follow-up to Enemy Unknown and this game is nothing like that. It reminds me a lot of the graphical style of Mafia II with its period atmosphere, i.e. gorgeous, married to Mass Effect 1 (which had more tactical options in the PC port). The game even features the same dialogue wheel system.

It's really the kind of game that needs a demo IMO as a lot of people will unfairly dismiss it on the basis of negative reviews from XCOM strategy fans.

Reply With Quote Old Default 08-24-2013, 11:57 | posts: 1,006 I got the game as pre-order, just so I can play XCOM: Enemy Unknown (which I haven't played before).

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a blast.

Reply With Quote Reply

Posting Rules Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2012, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive

Followers

Links

Links